Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gun Control

There was another school shooting in the States and lack of gun regulation has been blamed.  Guns need to be regulated better, we need to give OTHER people guns to protect themselves etc etc.  I'm not for or against gun control - I think it has it's place but tends to go too far when it is controlled.  Then again, I think the right to bear arms right should have been rewritten when assault weapons were invented.  Here's my thoughts for all they're worth - it's something that has bothered me for awhile and please remember, while I value your feedback, if you're an ass about it - this is my world and I can/will delete your comments and then make fun of you in real life. 

First off, people are hurt. Quit yapping about gun control and focus on the victims NOT YOUR POLITICAL AGENDA! Now is not the time for that.  Tomorrow isn't either

Second, quit sensationalizing it.  Quit having the media down there talking to little kids.  Write your local news station and boycott anything with images or graphic detail.  Tell people off that are talking about the shooter by asking "What are the names of the victims?" Emphasize the victim and forget the shooter.  Why? Because when someone is so alone and so depressed, they may feel that at least someone heard their cry before they killed themself or before they snapped.  To a person who isn't seeing the world "normally" (speaking from someone who has heard voices telling me to kill myself), the shooters are celebrity-status and that's scary.

Third, to the people who say "guns don't kill people, people kill people", I say "Guns don't protect people, people protect people." Get to know your neighborhood. Learn to be a kind neighbor.  When you think someone is being abused, talk to them - pry into their life.  When you feel warning signs about someone being suicidal or having a mental illness or having a breakdown, intervene.  Call someone for help.  Talk to people, talk to the person. Let them know you care and do not stop.  When people say "it takes a village"...this isn't just about a child - it's about people.  Look, I refuse to believe that people who commit murder like this are perfectly fine.  People don't go "wow, I have a great job, a wonderful family, great friends, and my mental health is totally stable - let's go shoot up a university".

Fourth - medicare.  Oh goodness, I said it.  When I need to see a doctor because I'm concerned about depression or anxiety - I can. If I have a child who I believe has ANY sort of condition, I can see a doctor.  When I needed medication that was too expensive, social assistance would help.  I believe in Medicare.  I believe that we benefit from having less stress and more preventative medicine - seeing a doctor about a mole that could be cancerous (but isn't) is better than worrying about it for years.  It's things like that that improve our quality of life dramatically and I'm lucky to live in a country that provides medicare.

Fifth - Don't give guns out like lollypops.  I've heard groups say "Arm the teachers - that will protect the students"...because teachers never go bat-crap crazy.  Or what if a student grabs it? Or what if it accidentally discharges and kills the teacher in front of 30 students? Yep...good idea folks.  Guns kill people - let's give teachers guns.

Sixth - You have the right to bear arms.  Pretty sure most people didn't have handguns back when this was written.  Pretty sure they didn't have bullets that would rip through kevlar.  Pretty sure men saw death on the battlefield more than they would like, they saw wars, rebellions, fights, and public executions.  To a man who sees another man die, life is probably viewed differently.
     North America is a pretty cozy place to live - so repeat after me "I. Don't. Need. A. Gun. For. Protection." What you need is a great security system, perhaps a dog, and some basic hand to hand combat techniques.  You need to be able to maneuver around your house in the dark, have a baseball bat nearby, and feel confident that you can hit someone around a corner before they attempt to shoot you because A) the shooter is scared B) they're probably inexperienced with a gun and C) if you're really that scared, build a safe room with a link to 911.  I'm serious. Guns invoke feelings of protection but protection from what...your neighbors? You now have a community looking out for you because you followed rule 3.

So guys...what I'm saying is even with registration or without - there is a much bigger issue in a society where people are killing (or injuring) mass amounts of people for the heck of it.  It's not about the registration of guns - it's about helping the people that will find access to them whether or not they're registered.  

No comments:

Post a Comment