Sunday, May 6, 2012

Recipe from the desk of ME!

Okay, so I am planning to have beans and rice tomorrow which, as many of you know, is a staple food in my diet. That being said - rice and beans is a pretty boring meal unless you can add some flavour to it - that's where my recipe comes in.

Easy enough - Make rice, add rinsed canned black beans (or whatever you have kicking around - I prefer black beans though). Then add Ginger Lime Salsa throughout. Make this the night before and see how it goes:

1/2 tomato chopped
1 lime cut into quarters and squeeze (bang the lime around a lot before hand and it gives more juice)
about 1-2 tbsp of ginger (depends on how much you like it)
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
1 pack of sugar or Splenda
a bit of finely cut up hot peppers (whatever kind you want - I like Scottish bonnets because they're so darn cute)

Cut everything up, throw it in a container, chill it overnight, mix in with rice and beans. I'm pretty sure this would be amazing with chicken or make a large batch, heat and serve with taco chips.

Now, a few questions (and even answers)

Q:Why canned beans?
A: Because I'm lazy and don't want to soak beans overnight

Q: Can I used dried spices (ginger, hot peppers)?
A: No! You're not getting the true flavour (or the health benefits). Even I'm not that lazy...and I'm a REALLY lazy cook!

Q: Can I use other ingredients?
Yeppers - but you have to tell me what you used and how it turned out!

Q: I've fallen in love with you because of your cooking - can I marry you?
Sorry, I'm already technically married...if you can convince my good-for-nothing ex to get divorced, I'll consider it. I'll warn you, I'll probably say no though. I'm not a fan of the idea of me getting married again. Unless you're rich. Then we'll talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment